Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Reason I'm an Entrepreneur: #1

Genetically, I'm not an employee. I tried that for 6 years. Yes, I worked hard and made my team look great! I gave that company all of my time, efforts, thoughts and energy. Admittedly, I was happy achieving success over and over when I was employed. I was dedicated and hard-working. It didn't matter that I was paid the same everyday, I was driven. I am driven in just about everything I set out to do.

I'm not going to leave something undone or leave someone hanging. I'm proud that I was employed by the same company since graduating college and I'm proud to have been promoted twice during that time. But, I just could not stand to be managed. I was sick of being afraid of what my choices would render down the line if I didn't ask someone to ask someone to ask someone only to get an answer after the deadline. It was a crazy train of bureaucracy and I wanted off! Off I say!

For the last year and a half of my employment, the only thing that got me out of bed was Dr. Pepper. Dr. Pepper? Yup. I'd wake to my alarm, realize all the interpersonal hurtles I had to jump that day and get disheartened. I'd only get excited when I realized I could get a Dr.Pepper on the way in to work. I'd get dressed and ready thinking about it. Now... that's not physically or mentally healthy.

But, seriously, the number one reason that I am an entrepreneur is that neither nature or nurture have guided me to be a satisfied employee. My mom's dad was a cattle rancher and her mother owned a fabric shop. My dad's dad started a very successful air conditioning company. My father tried his hand at plastics manufacturing in the late seventies. And my mom...she's had a business since I can remember: custom drapery, a successful crafts business and now she's excelling at online retail. My family has set the example over and over - don't be an employee!

The problem, for a long time, was capitol. But I gritted my teeth, saved every penny and made it happen!


No comments:

Post a Comment