Monday, October 21, 2013

Self-Employed is Often Misunderstood to mean Unemployed

I'm sure that many entrepreneurs have experienced this very same, deflating conversation. But it was my first time since becoming self-employed over two months ago:

A good friend of ours, who has been so very supportive of my new journey into entrepreneurship, told me about an exciting new job opportunity he saw on his employer's website. "You should totally apply, you'd rock at that!"

I know that this "head's up" on the job opening was meant to be kind. I know that it came with all the best intentions. I knew then, in that moment, that he just doesn't get it. And so, I took it in stride and nodded with raised eyebrows and feigned interest. I might have muttered something like, "Yea! Ok... sure."

But, my head was spinning a little bit. This is the same friend who gave me a big high five for quitting my job and pursuing small business ownership. The same guy that asks every time I see him, "How's owning your own business, boss?"

What happened? Why the sudden change in tune?

I haven't given him any indication that I regret my decision or that I want to go back to being an employee, because, I certainly don't. So, then, I started thinking why would he suggest that I get a job? Does he think I'm bumming off my boyfriend? Does he think I only quit out of spite and that I don't know really what I'm doing? Does he think I'm panicking on the inside and regretting my decision?

Then, I realized that its just his own misguided perception that everyone must have a job.  I mean, I'm not unemployed. I'm proudly self-employed.

Entrepreneurship is a completely foreign concept to some and I understand that. But, I have to admit its hard to buck the trend when even your most fervent cheerleaders are telling you to stop following the path less traveled and jump over to the hustling, bustling city-sponsored walking trail.

It took a few days, but I shook it off and reminded myself that I'm made to hack and trudge and to pad down my own path. Yes, there's the occasional spider web, irritating and sticky. But its all part of the journey. I'm just going to take that self-doubt that I let eek in for a moment and turn it into fuel for my grit!
Haters are going to hate, but grit don't quit, people! 


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can't wait to read lots of your posts. self-employed

    ReplyDelete